Special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO)
Closing Date: 4th November at 4pm Interviews W/C 9th November
Start Date: April 2021 or sooner
Job title: SENCO and Classroom Teacher
Salary: Teacher + TLR + SEN. Salary dependent on experience.
Contract type/term: Full-time, permanent
Reporting to: Assistant Headteacher for Inclusion
Responsible for: Teaching Assistants, High Level Teaching Assistants, Specialist SEND Assistants.
Do you have the drive, passion and commitment to oversee and deliver outstanding provision to help young people with additional needs succeed? If so, joining Khalsa Secondary Academy might just be the best career move you ever make. This is your opportunity to not only join but lead a dedicated team of professionals, in our SEND Department, who are committed to providing the best possible education for our students.
Who we are looking for:
Our SEND Department, currently led by the Acting SENCO and Assistant Headteacher for Inclusion, is on a journey to excellence and expansion. The school recently participated in an external SEND audit which highlighted significant strengths in the team and the SEND department’s/school’s plans for the new academic year. Consequently, we have a fantastic opportunity to recruit an experienced and qualified SENCO who can continue to successfully pursue the school’s SEND improvement plan.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and skill working with young people who require support with one or more of the following; communication and interaction, cognition and learning, social emotional and mental health and sensory and physical needs. Equally, they will have a knowledge of working with children with English as an Additional Language and medical needs. In addition, the candidate will have excellent classroom experience and an ability to balance a teaching timetable alongside the responsibilities of the role.
We are looking for a dedicated individual to lead our SEND Department and who will continue to develop and strive for excellence and outstanding SEND provision across the school. The candidate will have had experience of management and leadership at whole school level.
The successful candidate will be a committed team player and leader with excellent organisational and technical skills. They will have the ability to effectively support learning and teaching, and develop relationships across our school and the KSA community.
We can offer:
• The opportunity to make a huge contribution to the education and lives of children who respond very positively to high quality teaching;
• Outstanding results, at both GCSE and A level, from our well-motivated students
• A staff team who are committed to their own professional development and to improving outcomes for the students;
• A supportive and open leadership team who recognise the importance of outstanding SEND
• An excellent, friendly and inclusive working environment;
• A commitment to support in developing new skills through a wide range of professional development opportunities and experiences;
• The opportunity to work in a team where skills, enthusiasm and hard work will be
Khalsa Secondary Academy is an inclusive Sikh faith school, being Sikh is not a requirement however, you must be willing:
• To be sympathetic with the ethos and vales of the Sikh religion;
• To follow the prohibition of smoking, consumption of alcohol, meat, fish and eggs anywhere on the school premises;
• Cover your head and remove your shoes when entering the Gurdwara.
Our commitment to Safeguarding:
Khalsa Secondary Academy is committed to safeguarding children. We believe that children and young people should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and young people, to keep them safe and to practise in a way that protects them. We expect that all staff, volunteers, outside agencies and service providers adhere to our policies and share in our commitment to safeguard all children in our care. All staff will undertake thorough interviewing and referencing checks and hold, or be prepared to undergo, an Enhanced DBS check that must be registered on the Update Service.
We are equally committed to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity. We aim for our workforce to be representative of society and that each employee feels respected and able to give their best. We are committed to providing equality and fairness in our recruitment and employment practices and not to discriminate on any grounds. We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
Visits to the Academy are warmly encouraged.