Hours: 31.25 hours per week, term time and INSETs.
Actual salary: £ 14,038.96 (NJC4-5; BG5)
Place of work: Initially based at Little Mead Primary Academy. However, all appointments are made to the Trust centrally
Contract: Temporary – linked to named child with SEND funding
Start date: 1st September
The Successful Candidate
Little Mead Primary Academy is looking to appoint an empathetic, nurturing, patient and flexible individual to join our team as a SEND Teaching Assistant. An energetic and positive outlook is essential.
The role is designed to predominately support the personal, social and emotional development of a child in Reception. The successful applicant will deliver specific interventions and an individualised curriculum, working under the direction of the class teacher and external agencies. The child requires support during unstructured times in the school day to successfully play games and maintain friendships.
Your daily routine will involve:
- Working 1-to-1 with a named child, enabling them to access all areas of the curriculum and work towards developmental milestones, as directed by the class teacher.
- Meeting and greeting the child at the beginning of the day.
- Handing over the child to the parent/carer at the end of each day, sharing successes and key information.
- Liaising and feeding back to the class teacher daily successes and areas for development.
- Delivering speech and language sessions with a clear focus and providing incremental steps for success.
- Providing personal, social, welfare, emotional and behavioural support.
- Facilitating social communication and interaction with peers both in the playground and in the classroom.
- Taking an active interest in the needs and welfare of the named child.
- Talking clearly and concisely to ensure instructions are understood and followed.
- Supporting with intimate care and changing.
- Working alongside teaching staff, parents and a range of professionals on a regular basis to implement and review programmes of intervention.
While this role is not specifically a teaching post, there will be elements of supporting children with their work as provided by their teacher. Accordingly, there is no requirement for a teaching and learning qualification, but experience within the education or social care sectors is essential. Please see the person specification for full expectations of the successful applicant.
Application closing date: Midday Thursday 29th July 2021
Application shortlisting: Friday 30th July
Interviews: Monday 2nd August
Little Mead Primary Academy is part of the Endeavour Academy Trust, which is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. You can find our Child Protection Policy on the trust's website:
We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.