Learning without Limits Academy Trust is looking to appoint a Senior Education Welfare Officer to work across the 5 academies in the Trust (LwLAT).
The Senior Education Welfare Officer (SEWO) role will be academy based with an office for administration in the Trust central offices, currently at The Lancaster Academy. The SEWO will be required to work collaboratively with parents, the academy community, external agencies & the courts to improve overall attendance at all LwLAT academies. The role will promote the importance of regular attendance and investigate the causes of persistent absence. Remaining child focussed at all times, the SEWO will robustly challenge parentally condoned absence and work alongside the in-school teams to secure buy in from all parents. The SEWO will offer academies advice on attendance related matters and will provide guidance to ensure that all LwLAT academies are meeting their statutory attendance requirements.
• Responsible for ensuring high levels of attendance across all Trust academies.
• In consultation with the academy determine the length of time (number of days or half days) required to effectively and efficiently provide the requirement.
• Work together with the academy to maintain a comprehensive attendance policy that successfully challenges poor attendance and rewards improvement.
• Meet with students and parents in the academy to discuss the reason for absences and to develop strategies to support improved attendance & regularly monitor success of intervention.
• Liaise with external agencies as appropriate & complete MASH forms / Early Help Assessments where required.
• Meet regularly with the Academy lead on attendance to continue development of good practice.
• Implement fast tracking where there is evidence that absences are parentally condoned.
• Develop Parenting Contracts & Education Plans & supervise Parenting Orders where necessary.
• Undertake home visits with relevant agencies or if a parent has a health or welfare concern that determines they are unable to meet at the academy site.
• Where a parent/carer has not effectively engaged on the matter of their child’s attendance then evidence will be provided to the Local Authority to support legal proceedings under Section 444 or Section 444(1)(a) Education Act 1996.
• Implement the Local Authority’s Fixed Penalty Notice Code of Conduct on behalf of the Principal and provide legal evidence to the Magistrate Courts if this remains unpaid.
• Attend court and give evidence in support of prosecutions where required.
• Provide all relevant administrative, logistical and support services to ensure both continuity and seamless delivery of its service. Provide termly reports on the impact of the SEWO work.
• Work alongside the academies to ensure that the Fair Access Protocol (FAP) is employed equitably across the Local Authority, attending FAP meeting where necessary.
• Following all permanent exclusions ensure that alternative provision is sourced and identified within agreed timeframes.
• Analyse attendance across the trust and report to the Principals and Trust Executive as requested.
• Deliver training to staff, governors and Trust employees when requested.
• Attend Local Governing Body meetings when required.
• Attend relevant training courses to keep up to date with current legislative changes regarding students attendance.
• To have a working knowledge of relevant education and child care legislation, which has a significant influence on the functions of the Education Welfare Service and be able to advise Principals, academy staff, governors and parents / carers on the implications of such legislation.
Please see application pack for full details.
Closing date: Friday 3rd July 12 noon.
Learning Without Limits is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.