Senior Science Technician
Start date January 2021
Hours 24 hours a week, term-time only
Salary WA5 £21,623 - £25,534 per annum (full-time equivalent salary)
We are looking for a confident and motivated individual to join our team of Science Technicians. The main purpose of this role is to support the science department, in all aspects of practical work and demonstrations. This is an exciting opportunity to work with ‘outstanding students’ (Ofsted) in a supportive, friendly and professional environment. The ideal candidate will have a good scientific knowledge and keen interest in working in a busy school environment.
Weydon School is a large, ambitious and outstanding school in an unspoilt area of Surrey within easy reach of London. The Times has recently rated Weydon School 1st across the UK for 11-16 schools, and achievements in all subject areas are exceptional. Students are respectful and responsive, and are proud to uphold the strong values of the school.
This is a part time role working 24 hours per week to be worked over 4 days with 1 day of 8.30 to 4.30. Remaining hours start/finish times can be negotiated with the applicant. This is a term-time only role (39 weeks per year).
Duties of a Senior Science Technician
• Day to day management of the prep room and technician team.
• Responsible for all Health & Safety aspects of the technician activities.
• Responsible for training new technicians in all aspects of their role and ongoing training and development of existing technicians.
• Daily checks of ‘vulnerable’ chemicals.
• Preparation, maintenance and storage of apparatus for demonstration, class practical and extra-curricular activities.
• Planning and preparation of all Open Evening practical displays in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
• Advising teachers of best way to carry out biology, chemistry and physics experiments as required.
• General maintenance of each laboratory and preparation room. This includes the care of apparatus, stores, work surfaces, cleaning of sinks, unblocking of gas taps and sinks etc.
• Being aware of, and complying with the special requirements for the storage of Acids, poisons, Flammable Substances and Radio Active Material, ensuring that all chemicals are in correct bottles and labelled.
• Making up acids and other solutions safely and accurately.
• Maintenance and repair of physics equipment i.e. ray boxes, lamps, power packs, stop clocks, ammeters, voltmeters etc.
• The keeping of stock records and ordering of equipment considering budgetary constraints.
• Liaising with subject heads and the Head of Science as required.
• Ensure all Prep Room procedures are followed by technicians at all times i.e. end of day, radioactivity logging, hazardous chemicals, checking electrical trolleys, items to be put and collected on day.
• The construction of apparatus for demonstration and class experiments.
• Research viability of experiments where necessary and advise technician team and teachers accordingly.
• During the year, at specified times carry out: A chemical stock check
An inventory check
PAT Testing of all Science electrical equipment. Termly laboratory checks
• Other duties as required
WA5 £21,623 - £25,534 per annum (full-time equivalent salary) £14,236 - £16,820 Actual Salary per annum.
Pro Rata Starting Salary £14,236 per annum based on 24 hours per week, term time only.
Staff benefits include healthcare policy, local government pension scheme, school holidays, retail discounts, free onsite parking and on-site restaurant.
Weydon School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All appointments are subject to safer recruitment procedures and an enhanced DBS check.