Post Title: Sports Studies Teacher
Full/part time: Part Time
Hours: 17.5hrs a week
Salary: £28,000 - £31,000 per annum (depending on experience) £14,000 - £15,500 pro-rata
Reporting to: Curriculum Manager for Dance and Sports
Purpose of the role: To teach BTEC levels 2 & 3 on the Sports programs, delivery learning programmes, assistance to students and tutorial support.
• 12.5 Teaching hrs per week
• Prepare, teach and assess BTEC Level 2/Level 3 sports studies courses with units that include:
1) Anatomy & Physiology for exercise
2) Health, Wellbeing & lifestyle
3) Sports Psychology
5) Fitness Testing & exercise performance
6) Coaching & Leadership
7) Sport in society
8) Innovation in Sport
• Provide pastoral support to students
• Provide safeguarding and welfare support
• Provide some enrichment activities.
• Plan course delivery in line with study programme requirements
• Arranges, monitors and supervises learners on study programmes, educational visits and field trips.
• Plans and prepares for inspections, SV reports and visits.
• Assesses students, including formative and summative assessments, internal verification and supervision of assessments.
• Maintains and provides records and statistical checks in relation to own teaching and across courses, including enrolment checks, attendance records and the like.
• As part of the course team, the tutor acts as the main point of reference for students in a particular year or course group. The tutor’s role includes:
(a) participation in inducting students
(b) providing educational and welfare guidance
(c) assisting students in preparing individual action plans
(d) following up student absence and tracking their course work
(e) acting as the focal point in the maintenance of student discipline within
the context of the Academy student disciplinary procedure
(f) undertaking exit interviews with students
(g) preparing administrative returns and reports as may be needed in relation to students, including destination records
(h) writing student references
(i) completing UCAS and other forms with students
Qualifications/Competencies Degree or equivalent in relevant subject
Relevant Experience Evidence of the ability to deliver consistently good or better teaching, learning and assessment and a proven track record or developing teams to plan and deliver an excellent learning experience
Experience of teaching with the 16-19 age group
Experience of the pastoral care of students, monitoring their achievements and attendance
Knowledge A well-developed understanding of the particular needs of the 16-19 age group both in full-time education and employment and of the professional challenges by inner city students many of whom come from deprived backgrounds
An understanding of and commitment to safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults.
• motivation to work with children/young people/vulnerable adults
• ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people/vulnerable adults
• emotional resilience in working with some challenging behaviours
• attitudes to use of authority and maintaining discipline
• Great classroom management
Skills/Ability Ability to teach on a range of courses in the subject area
Ability to provide learning and tutorial support for students
Excellent planning, organisation, IT and administrative skills, the ability to see projects through to a successful conclusion, and a general high level of efficiency
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
Ability to promote and recruit for courses
Personal Skills Demonstrate enthusiasm, drive and determination.
Attitude for hard work, the ability to take initiatives, a flexible approach and an ability to implement change.
Big Creative Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.