Strategic Literacy Coordinator (Teacher of English)
Start Date: January 2021
Term: Full time, Permanent
We are looking to appoint an ambitious, motivated and highly successful English Teacher who will have the opportunity to lead a whole school literacy strategy and believes in going the extra mile in order to make a real difference to the lives of young people.
Here at TCOLC students and staff come first and our mission statement ‘Be Happy, Be Ambitious, Make a Difference’ embodies everything we do. The City of Leicester College is a thriving, fast paced, multi-cultural 11- 19 school that is ambitious to become the best we can be. We are proud of our diversity and proud to promote high standards of education. Our flourishing sixth form of nearly 400 students is recognised is in the top 20% of providers nationally for P16 progress and is the most successful KS5 provider in Leicester.
It is an exciting time to join the TCOLC team, we have a new Headteacher in place, along with an eager, ambitious and caring middle and senior leadership team, who are determined to see the college realise its full potential. We’re now taking our time to recruit the best people to join our ‘TCOLC family’ to ensure our students and community get what they truly deserve. The Strategic Literacy Coordinator role is an exciting post, especially for the candidate ambitious for future senior leadership. The role is a whole school responsibility and includes managing a sizeable budget; the successful candidate genuinely not only has the opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of our young people but will also provide excellent professional development to our dedicated teachers. Therefore, it is essential we get the right very best candidate for our students.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a highly successful teacher, who embodies our school mission statement, ‘Be Happy, Be Ambitious, Make a Difference’
• Be highly motivated and ambitious leader who is an advocate for literacy and for our young people.
• Have a clear understanding of how improvement of literacy can help improve the quality of teaching and learning across subjects.
• Have experience in improving students’ literacy through implementing a range of provisions.
• Have a clear understanding of pedagogical knowledge in the teaching of a range of literacy programmes which enhances students’ experiences and leads to improved outcomes.
• Be a team player and relish in the opportunity to work with colleagues from across all curriculum areas.
We can offer you:
• A dedicated team who place students at the heart of everything.
• Generous PPA, ensuring you have the time to meet the demands of your role.
• A college that is genuinely committed to the health and wellbeing of staff.
• Supportive and inspiring line management by our Assistant Headteacher in charge of college standards
• A college who place a high premium on your professional development, e.g. many of our middle leaders undertake the national professional qualifications (NPQML/SL)
• Local networking to ensure you keep abreast with local and national developments.
• The opportunity to be part of an ambitious English department, where students engage with a diverse, challenging and inspiring curriculum and teachers work collaboratively to ensure our students receive the very best teaching and learning experiences.
• The opportunity to teach across Key Stages 3-5.
• An open and honest professional learning community that challenges and rewards.
• Dedicated, enthusiastic and creative staff and students.
• A fantastic and well-resourced state of the art new learning environment.
• All teachers have their own laptop.
If you genuinely believe you can help us make a difference to the lives our young people and have the aspiration, motivation and experience we’re looking for then please get in touch as we’d love to hear from you!
We actively encourage school visits, where social distancing measures are in place for the safety of all staff and visitors. However, if you prefer, please do arrange a phone/video call prior to an application, so that you learn more about this pivotal whole school leadership role and ethos firsthand. To arrange a visit at a mutually convenient time please contact Jill Walton (Deputy Headteacher).
This College is committed to Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Certificate.
CLOSING DATE for applications for this post is Monday 26 October at 3.00pm with interviews most likely taking place on Thursday 29 October.
The City of Leicester College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants will be required to undertake pre-employment checks, such as an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check.