‘Come questioning, go seeking, grow’
Do you like a challenge, are you a team player, can you use your initiative, do you like working with
young people? We are a busy, lively department for teenagers with learning difficulties and
disabilities. The post holder will work with a team of teaching and support staff concerned with
students who have learning difficulties, physical disabilities and behavioural problems. The post
holder will be working with students who are mainly aged between 16-19 years with severe or
complex learning difficulties and will be required to work on a one to one basis at certain times.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Supporting the teachers in all areas of the curriculum.
• Responsibility for students' personal needs, including, where necessary, toileting and
washing, dressing and feeding.
• Maintenance of equipment and use of IT in making and maintaining teaching materials
• Assisting with the general running of the department e.g. washing up, laundry etc.
• Support/supervision of the students concerned both in and out of college buildings.
• Support/supervision of students during their lunch and coffee breaks.
• To assist students with transportation for off-site activities.
• To be flexible and adaptable and be prepared to support/assist students with a wide range of activities e.g. swimming, horse riding, sensory, literacy, numeracy, IT etc.
• To identify personal and professional staff development needs to meet the College’s Strategic Plan.
• To ensure continuous professional development (CPD) requirements as specified by the College and that may be identified during College processes, for example Appraisal.
• To participate in the College Appraisal Scheme.
• To maintain awareness of the requirements of the College Health and Safety Policy and to be responsible for ensuring that the duties and responsibilities detailed in the College Health and Safety Policy are adhered to and carried out.
• To read and apply the College Safeguarding and Prevent procedures and to ensure that the duties and responsibilities detailed in the College Safeguarding Policy and Prevent Duty Policy are adhered to and carried out.
• To read the College Single Equality Scheme and to act in accordance with statutory obligations under the equality duties and in compliance with current Equality and Diversity legislation.
• To ensure adherence to the College Data Protection Policy.
• To work to the College quality standards and systems within the context of the College quality systems.
• To undertake such other duties and responsibilities as are appropriate to this level of post, including any reasonable request made by Head of Faculty or Senior Leadership Team.
Essential Skills and Characteristics
• Flexible approach
• Ability to assist/support individual student’s learning
• Ability to relate to students with severe and complex learning difficulties
• Ability to use own initiative
• Ability to communicate clearly
• Ability to lift in an emergency situation
Desirable skills and characteristics
• Experience of support in classroom situation
• Experience of students with severe and complex learning difficulties
• Experience in the caring field
• Sense of humour
• Manual handling skills
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Tenure of post: Permanent, Term Time Only, 38 weeks a year
Hours of work: Monday to Friday 8:30 – 15:30 (30 minutes lunch break)
Salary: From £19,878.00 up to £21,729.00 per annum (pro rata for part time positions)
Pension: Local Government Pension Scheme. This is an employee and employee contributory pension scheme.
The Henley College is an Equal Opportunities Employer. The Henley College is committed to
safeguarding and promoting the welfare of learners and expects all staff to share this
commitment. This position is subject to a satisfactory Enhanced DBS check.
The Henley College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.