Teacher of French – MPS/UPS 0.4fte part time, temporary post to start January 2021
This is an exciting post within a lively and successful department who are looking to appoint an additional member of staff to support the progress of our students. The vacancy has arisen as one of our team is leaving. We would therefore like to appoint an ambitious and forward-thinking linguist who has the ability to teach French. The ability to offer an additional language would be an advantage.
There are currently 5 members of staff in the department all of whom teach up to 2 languages in Key Stage 3 and at least one language to GCSE and A Level. Within the department there are 5 teaching rooms.
All of our students study French from Year 7 to Year 8. In Year 8 our most able learners are given the opportunity to take a second language and they can choose between German and Spanish. In year 7, French is taught in mixed ability form groups and in Year 8 languages are taught in dual language (more able) or single language (lower ability) groups, although these are still loosely mixed ability. In year 9, pupils single out one language and start an early GCSE.
Languages are not compulsory in KS4 at Malbank, however MFL is still a popular choice among Year 10 students. This year we have 1 GCSE group for each language. As a result, we expect that A Level numbers will also continue to rise.
The department organises a Paris Trip every other year. In the last couple of years, our Sixth form students have taken part in a work experience in France.
We need someone who:
• will continue to help us raise achievement and improve progress in the department.
• will raise the profile of MFL across the school and continue to increase uptake at KS4 and KS5
• can use data efficiently to monitor the progress of all students in their groups
• will be committed to working with a motivated team
• has high expectations for the students and the department and is actively supportive of the learning culture and values of the school
• is an able linguist, capable of teaching across the full age and ability range
• is ambitious for their students, themselves and our school
• can bring MFL to life for our learners
• is keen to lead extra-curricular activities
The post would suit someone:
• who really enjoys working with and has the capacity to motivate young people
• who truly believes that language learning is more vital now than ever before
• who can demonstrate a serious commitment to professional development
• who has boundless energy and a good sense of humour!
How do I apply?
Write a letter of application explaining how your experience and qualifications have equipped you for this post.
The closing date is noon on Monday 2nd November. If you have not heard from us by the end of April, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
I hope that this information has encouraged you to apply, and if so I look forward to reading your application. If you would like any more details about the post please ring and ask for Gwendal Guichoux.
Malbank School and Sixth Form College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.