The Oriel Science Faculty - Innovative, Motivated and Successful
The Oriel Science team currently consists of 14 full-time and 3 part-time teachers, with an HLTA specifically for supporting in Science lessons and providing intervention. We are lucky to have 13 purpose built full size science laboratories all with interactive whiteboard, projector and teacher’s PC, the science department is extremely well resourced and benefits from the expertise of 4 experienced lab technicians. The School is a modern building with lots of natural light and provides an environment conducive to positive and productive learning.
The Science teachers at Oriel aim to provide every student in our care with the opportunity to master the fundamentals of science, we teach our own KS3 schemes of work that have been carefully created to provide fun and interesting lessons that are challenging and provide a good base for GCSE science.
The science faculty is a passionate and forward thinking team, our priority is to give our students the best possible chance of success, whilst instilling in them a passion and love for science. The science faculty enjoy socializing as a team.
We are looking to appoint someone who......
- Is an excellent teacher with the ability to stretch, inspire, enthuse and engage learners,
- Will lead in providing first-class teaching and learning for our students
- Has experience of teaching a Science (Biology, Chemistry or Physics across Key Stage 3 and 4
- Has either experience of or a desire to teach a Science at Key Stage 5.
We have excellent support for NQTs and would welcome applications from newly qualified teachers who would like to grow and develop in an innovative and forward thinking department; or more experienced teachers looking for their first promotion. Oriel has a detailed NQT training package praised by West Sussex and actively encourages CPD throughout the school with a comprehensive program for teachers at all stages of their careers.
At Oriel High School We:
- Have an ethos based on Creativity, Achievement, Respect and Excellence (CARE) for all. Therefore we:
- Believe in high quality teaching
- Believe in a strong sense of community amongst students and staff and we value this throughout the school.
- Believe that there should be no barriers to progress for students or staff
- Believe in working hard and working together
- Believe in developing the whole child, not just their academic skills & knowledge
- Never want to feel like an exam factory
- Make mistakes but we learn from them
- Believe in evidence based research
- Acknowledge that parents/carers and families are key in helping us improve
- Value feeling happy at work
- Believe in collaboration between staff.
- Believe in being outward facing, sharing our experiences and promoting our school for the benefit of others
- Believe that literacy and numeracy are key to students making good or better progress in our school.
- Believe in ‘growing our own’ teachers and leaders for tomorrow
- Do not believe that Performance Related Pay improves teacher effectiveness, but we do believe hard work and dedication does.
- Like young people and value their feedback
West Sussex County Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Oriel High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants for this post must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including reference checks with previous employers and a criminal record check with the Criminal Records Bureau.