Teacher of the Deaf (for pupils with additional needs)
0.6FTE fixed term contract (3 days)
MPS/UPS + SEN 1 or 2 (depending on qualification)
Based at our Primary site, Greystoke Avenue, Bristol, BS10 6AY
If you are…
• Experienced in deaf education and ready for a new challenge in a school for Deaf children
• Keen to work with BSL and English, teaching pupils individually and in small groups of deaf students with additional needs.
• Able to adapt your practice with a flexible approach to teaching life skills and functional skills
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed teacher to join our skilled team in our ‘Middle school’ group provision in our school for deaf children.
The successful candidate will:
• Be an innovative and patient classroom teacher - possibly from Primary or other special school
• Have excellent planning and differentiation skills in modifying curriculum to suit a mixed group
• Be a BSL user
• Be committed to a bilingual approach in teaching Deaf children and possibly train to be a Teacher of the Deaf in the future (it is a mandatory qualification after 3 years)
Elmfield is a small special school, situated on two sites.
We work in British Sign Language and spoken English within a ‘sign bilingual’ environment.
We work closely with our partner secondary school peers at Fairfield Academy.
We have an inclusive secondary department where students enrol into a mainstream class tutor group and gain access to a range of subjects. This group of pupils are given opportunities for inclusion with primary, secondary and other schools and services.
We offer a specialist teaching environment.
We offer strong induction, Continuing Professional Development and coaching support.
We offer inclusive education for the Middle school group with another Special school for pupils with learning disabilities.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to visit the school. Please contact us by telephone on 0117 9030 366 or email to arrange a visit.
Closing date: Thursday 27th June 2019
Interviews will be held week beginning Monday 8th July 2019
‘We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for the successful applicant’.
Elmfield School for Deaf Children is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.