Do you want to be part of a multi-disciplinary team of dedicated friendly Teachers, Therapists and Teaching Assistants helping children with social and communication difficulties to blossom and thrive?
Do you have a passion for learning, excellent inter-personal skills and are confident, enthusiastic, calm, supportive, resilient and adaptable?
We welcome you to apply to join our team.
Post 16 Teaching Assistant
Blossom House is an Ofsted-rated “Outstanding” specialist school for children aged 3 - 19 years of age with speech, language and communication difficulties. Although many of the children have some associated difficulties such as fine motor problems or poor organisational skills, they are all within the average range of cognitive abilities.
Post 16 is a unique provision at Blossom House as it is tailored, as much as possible, to cater for each student’s individual needs. The provision is in a separate wing of the building on the main school site, with students having their own teaching and therapy rooms, small gym, kitchen and common room.
What the role involves:
Your role may involve providing ad-hoc or dedicated 1-1 support to specific children and to provide whole-class support in lessons. The Teaching Assistant role involves supporting children, assisting the class teacher and therapists, helping to maintain the learning environments and assisting with administration. Preferably, candidates should have a clean valid driver’s licence and be experienced and comfortable driving a minibus within the UK, between School and Colleges and trips.
- A supportive working environment in a newly refurbished building.
- Small class sizes and the opportunity to work 1-1 with children where possible.
- Support from an enthusiastic and dedicated team of Therapy staff and Teachers who will work alongside you in the classroom. Our Speech & Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapist, Art Therapists, Music Therapists, and Play Therapists aim to maximise each child’s potential in a nurturing and supportive environment.
- Continued professional development and training.
- The opportunity to obtain a City & Guilds accredited training course in Behaviour Support Management while working here. We also deliver the Elklan course which is an accredited speech and language training programme aimed at professionals working in schools.
- An opportunity to pursue a career in Teaching or Therapy where applicable.
- Great staff benefits and a friendly nurturing environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Confidence, enthusiasm and a passion for learning.
- Excellent English skills (clear written and spoken English) along with good reading, writing and numeracy skills.
- The ability to build good working relationships with children, teachers, parents and carers.
- Experience of working with children with Special Education Needs (SEN), particularly children on the Autism Spectrum.
- The ability to manage a small group of children with complex social communication needs.
- The ability to promote positive behaviour in a nurturing environment is essential.
- Qualifications preferred include GCSE, CACHE Diploma Level 3 in Child Development or equivalent qualification.
The role is a Permanent, Term-Time only role
Monday to Friday (08:30 – 17:00)
(approx. 36 teaching weeks per annum)
No working required during school holidays
Annual salary: Competitive
To Start: Oct/Nov 2019
Closing Date: Please apply ASAP
Send your completed application form detailing how you meet the requirements of the person specification along with the recruitment activity (on the last page of the advert).
This role is subject to the relevant Safeguarding checks, which will include an Enhanced DBS check and right to work in the UK checks.
This role does not meet the requirements for sponsored work permits.
Blossom House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; successful applicants must be suitable to work with children and will need to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Certificate with barred list information.