Teaching Assistant - Level 2
Temporary 12 mth contract, Full time, Term Time Only.
Foxwood Academy is an all age area special school for over 100 pupils aged 3-19 who exhibit a wide range of special educational needs and disabilities. Foxwood Academy is a ‘Good’ school as judged by OfSTED in October 2017 with a rigorous and ambitious plan to move to Outstanding at our next inspection. Foxwood Academy has a highly skilled team of professionals who are wholly committed to achieving the very best outcomes for all of its students.
We are looking for individuals with a genuine passion for working with students who have a range of special educational needs especially those with needs that are more complex. Applicants should passionately believe that it is the right of every child to make outstanding progress and that every child has a right celebrate their achievements, be an individual, be aspirational and be equal.
Academy pay range of Point 2-4 (£15,565 - £16,194). FTE range is £18,198 - £18,933 pa
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting learning programmes for students with complex needs, more detail is available in the attached job description.
Hours of work are 8:30 am - 16:30 pm Monday - Friday. This is a temporary appointment for a 12 month period.
Foxwood Academy places the very highest priority on safeguarding the safety and welfare of children and expects all staff to uphold this view. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check and further checks required in line with the DfE Keeping Children Safe in Education guidance.
Foxwood Academy is an equality of opportunity employer and encourages applications from all members of the community particularly those from ethnic minority groups who are under-represented at this time.
1.Supporting a student on a 1:2 basis, alongside an existing member of staff to attend to the pupils’ educational needs and implement related personal programmes, including social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters, including the use of specialist equipment where necessary
2. Providing support for students with special educational needs and disabilities within a class
3. Providing practical assistance in relation to other identified physical needs
4. Supervising and supporting pupils ensuring their safety and access to learning
5. Working to establish a supportive relationship with the children and parents concerned
6. Promoting the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
7. Encouraging pupils to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher
8. Encouraging pupils to act independently as appropriate
9. Preparing classroom as directed for lessons and clear afterwards and assisting with the display of pupils’ work
10. Being aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and reporting to the teacher as agreed
11. Supporting the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties as appropriate
12. Gathering/reporting information from/to parents/carers as directed
13. Working with and acting upon guidance provided by teachers and other professionals such as Inclusion Services, Speech Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Moving and Handling Specialists
14. Providing support for such tasks as clerical, administrative, photocopying, collection and recording of money e.g. completion of diaries/home – school booklet
15. Supporting pupils to understand instructions
16. Supporting pupils in respect of local and national learning strategies e.g. literacy, numeracy, as directed by the teacher
17. Supporting pupils in using basic ICT as directed
18. Preparing and maintaining equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assisting pupils in their use
19. Assisting with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times, including before and after school and at lunchtimes
20. Accompanying teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out of school activities as required
Please see Job Description attached for full list of responsibilities.
We will offer you:
- Training and CPD to suit your individual training requirements
- A committed, friendly, welcoming and supportive staff team
- Excellent support from the Headteacher, senior leadership team and governing body
Closing date for all applications is 10am on the 13th December 2021.
Interviews expected to take place W/C 13th December 2021 for an expected 4th January 2022 start or as soon as possible after.
Please note: CVs will NOT be accepted in place of a completed application form. You must complete the Foxwood Academy application form attached in order to be considered for this post.
Foxwood Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.