Based at our Secondary site, Allfoxton Road, BS7 9NL
13h/wk - Monday & Wednesday 8.30am-3.30pm
Term time only + 5 INSET days
Fixed term contract - ASAP-31/08/22
We are looking to appoint a Teaching Assistant with experience of working with Deaf children for classroom support work.
Elmfield is a maintained Bristol Special School for pupils aged 2-16 years which serves the Bristol and wider region. We have been consistently judged as “Good” with “Outstanding” features by OFSTED. Pupils have deafness as a primary need, some with additional Special Educational Needs, and we provide a Bilingual Deaf Education where BSL and English are used. Experience working with children with a range of additional needs will be an advantage.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide individual and/or group support on our Secondary site
- Demonstrate high levels of commitment to the school and a bi-lingual way of working
- Communicate effectively with children who use either BSL or oral English
- Offer skills and expertise which enhance and complement the existing staff team - for example sensory or disability specialism
- Work flexibly alongside class teachers following planning for children and taking the initiative as appropriate
- Demonstrate commitment to children developing language for communication and learning in a bi-lingual setting which values all languages equally
- Provide an excellent role model for fluent and creative BSL use throughout the school
- Undertake relevant training to gain necessary qualifications as required
- Work flexibly and use own initiative
- Have a friendly, approachable and professional manner
Prospective applicants are welcome to visit the school. Please contact us by telephone to arrange a convenient time and date.
The school is particularly keen to receive applications from D/deaf candidates.
Closing date for applications: Monday 13th December at 9am
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and expect all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
We do not deal with recruitment agencies. We cannot accept CVs.
Elmfield School for Deaf Children is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.