Howardian Primary School
Hammond Way, Penylan, Cardiff CF23 9NB
3 X 1:1Teaching Assistants Level 1(Grade 3) SEN
1st January 2021 – 31st August 2021
Grade 3 spt (3 - 6) £18,065 - £19,171 pro rata 39 weeks
‘The school is a caring and inclusive community with strong levels of respect, trust and co-operation between staff, pupils and parents.’ Estyn July 2019
We are a new and growing school in Cardiff. Currently we have Nursery to Year 5 pupils. This is an exciting opportunity for 3 teaching assistants to work 1:1 with children across our school. We have one position in our Early Years, one in our Foundation Phase and one in lower KS2. At the beginning of September 2018 we moved into our brand new school and it's really important to us that our new teaching assistants share our commitment to making it a real Community School. Our children all live locally and come from many nationalities. Parents have been very supportive of our school and we have incredibly enthusiastic and dedicated staff. Our recent Estyn Inspection July 2019 said: ‘There is a strong team ethos. All members of staff feel valued and work together well.’
The Head teacher and Governors are seeking to appoint three hardworking and enthusiastic Level 1 1:1 teaching assistants to work within our primary school. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• the skills to establish good working relationships with children, acting as a positive role model
• an excellent understanding and commitment to the philosophy of the Foundation Phase and KS2
• good knowledge of the seven areas of the foundation phase and the programme of study for literacy and numeracy or the national curriculum, whichever, is appropriate
• the skills to supervise and support children both indoors and outdoors in order to support their learning
• the ability to comply with whole school safeguarding measures
• the ability to undertake general admin dutie such as photocopying, laminating, display work
If you are a teaching assistant with these qualities, attributes and skills we offer you:
• an opportunity to work in partnership with a motivated and conscientious team of teachers and teaching assistants who fully embrace and enthusiastically support a skills based curriculum
• a wide range of exciting school initiatives
• supportive governors and parents
• motivated, confident pupils who are gaining independence in their learning
These vacancies are suitable for post share.
Internal candidates who wish to apply for this position on a secondment basis must obtain approval prior to application using Form SEC1 (4.C.081). Requests may only be approved by the relevant Chief Officer or senior nominated officer graded no lower than OM2 or in the case of schools based staff the Headteacher / Governing Body.
Under the Education (Wales) Act 2014, all School Learning Support Workers must be registered with the Education Workforce Council (EWC).
These posts are subject to Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Checks.
Safeguarding and Child Protection are key priorities for the Council. We aim to support children and vulnerable adults to ensure they are as safe as they can possibly be. Our services and schools are committed to ensuring the safety and protection of all children and vulnerable adults, and will take action to safeguard their well-being, and acknowledge that children and vulnerable adults have a right to protection. This is supported in the general ethos of the Council and all schools.
As an equal opportunities employer, we value diversity. Therefore, although not a requirement for application, we welcome and encourage applications from underrepresented individuals including those:
• aged under 25;
• not in employment, education or training;
• from our local communities including in particular disabled individuals, carers and those from the Cardiff BAME and LGBT+ communities;
• ability to communicate fluently in Welsh.
Due to the current COVID -19 circumstances the interview process for this role maybe held on a virtual basis using an appropriate online platform. If you have any concerns around your ability to participate in a virtual interview process please contact Louise Curran for a discussion.
Please download or print off the application form by selecting the “Apply Now” button.
Due to our current interim working arrangements, we are unable to provide recruitment packs through the post.
Application forms should be completed in full and returned to the school by the closing date.
Applications should be sent to: Louise Curran
Closing Date: Monday 12th October @ 12 noon
Shortlisting: w/b: Monday 12th October 2020
Interviews: w/b: Monday 19th October 2020
Starting Date Monday 4th