Vice Principal - “Making Excellence a Habit”
Responsible for Behaviour and Attitudes and Personal Development
Start date September 2019
(This role can commence April 2019 if required)
TSAT ISR L18 – L22 (£61,652 - £67,996)
Closing Date – Sunday 3rd February (early applications are encouraged)
Interviews – 25th/26th February
We are looking to appoint a Vice Principal at The Portsmouth Academy, to start in September 2019 (with the option to start in April 2019 if preferred). The post-holder will be responsible for Behaviour and Attitudes and Personal Development. This is an excellent opportunity for a dedicated and ambitious individual to continue their own Personal Development, working within a strong and committed leadership team.
The Portsmouth Academy is continuing to grow and this is an exciting time for both our students and staff to be part of our continued success. We are one of the most improved secondary schools in the country (top 20% under the new progress measures).
What you will need to succeed:
- A degree or equivalent
- Qualified Teacher Status
- Evidence of sustained participation in INSET, especially school leadership and management programme or similar
- At least 5 years classroom teaching experience with secondary aged pupils with a range of abilities
- Trained in safeguarding issues
- Skilled at behaviour management
- Understanding of Spiritual Moral Social and Cultural development
- Experience of:
- Leading attendance – and improving outcomes
- Taking a lead role in the Personal Development of students
- Managing and/or co-ordinating staff
- Working at Leadership level in a school which includes the full secondary age- range
- Curriculum leadership
- Improving students’ behaviour and attitudes across a school
We are proud to be part of The Thinking Schools Academy Trust, where we believe that the work we do must transform the life chances of our students. This is achieved through supporting them to think about their thinking and shape their own success. The Vice Principal for “making excellence a habit” will play a leading role in securing a culture of high expectations; where every student is challenged to be the very best that they can be.
What we can offer you:
- An excellent environment for learning and teaching
- The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment due to a £5.3 million pound investment. A further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama
- We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and were proud to receive the Wellbeing award at the recent Teach Portsmouth Awards. Our Wellbeing strategy consists of regular opportunities to participate in on site activities such as Pilates, Ceramics and Football each week
- Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects
- Teachers are provided with above 10% PPA and they are designated allocated marking time
- With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career
- The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits
- We work closely with Teach Portsmouth, The Portsmouth Education Partnership and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance
- The Trust holds regular CPD events
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas
- Onsite parking free of charge
Visits are warmly welcomed. If you are interested in this position and would like to find out more about The Portsmouth Academy, please contact Sue Wood (Executive PA) on 023 9281 2822 who will be happy to arrange a no-pressure tour of our Academy.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.