To find great talent, you need a great job advert. With thousands of teaching vacancies available, you want your role (and your school) to stand out from the crowd. This is the prime opportunity to pitch your job to the candidates you want to receive and inspire them to hit apply.
Not had the results you were hoping for so far? Here’s our top tips to get the most out of your job advert.
Use the right structure
A teaching job advert isn’t dissimilar to a standard one, and the rules of structure remain the same.
- Job title / term
- Salary range
- Role & responsibilities
- Key requirements
A lot of schools and colleges tend to state a ‘competitive salary’ is available, however it’s been identified that this has a negative impact on applications. Be honest and upfront, provide the salary or range, that way you’ll attract the correct pool of candidates and have a higher percentage of applications.
When introducing your school, keep it brief but passionate. What makes your school different from the rest? Why would the candidate love to come and work with you? A few sentences is all you need, just keep this section all about the school, not the job.
What can they bring?
Use small paragraphs to describe the role and its responsibilities, preferably using bullet points. It’s easy to digest and more likely to be read. Avoid going into too much detail, that’ll be available in the job description. Stick to the main duties and focus on why it’s an important role. How will they contribute to the overall aims of the school and make a difference to the students?
Similarly with key requirements, remain succinct and to the point. Include only the essentials and list it out in bullet points.
What else makes a good job advert?
- Invite them to visit the school prior to interview. You’ll come across welcoming and allows the candidate and yourself to make an informed decision.
- Detail the benefits available: training and development opportunities are a positive addition to any employment advert
- Provide a contact name and email / number for an informal discussion.
- Outline your safeguarding policy and the statutory requirements for compliance.
Anything to add?
- Showcase your school and promote its culture on your Career Page / Site.
- Use ‘you’ instead of ‘the successful candidate’. It allows them to envision themselves working at your school if you address them directly.
- Give instructions on how to apply. Eteach provide built-in application instructions which you can add more details to if needed.
Did you know that twice as many candidates are more likely to complete an application using Eteach’s Fast Apply method? That’s because it’s quick and easy to use instead of downloading a document and having to come back to it later, especially if they’re searching from their mobile phone. 60% of candidates do not complete their applications if it’s not mobile-optimised.
One more thing… advertise on an industry specific job board like Eteach. We’re the biggest job site in education, with 100% of our traffic coming from educators looking for their next role!
Job Advert Example
School: Eteach Group Premium Member School
Role: KS3/KS4 French Teacher
Contract term: Permanent / Full Time
Salary: £XX,XXX - £XX,XXX dependent on experience
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Would you like to work in a well-connected city location, working alongside outstanding teachers at a foreign language specialist school? We are looking for a passionate KS3/KS4 French teacher to deliver high quality lessons while successfully nurturing and inspiring our students.
WHY CHOOSE US
We hold an Investors in People Award and pride ourselves on our strong ethos of inclusion and diversity. Our school community offers the opportunity to become a meaningful part of the wider community through enrichment and extra-curricular activities. We are passionate about staff work-life balance throughout the school and voluntarily adhere to the Fair Workload Charter.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As part of our energetic and welcoming team, you will enthuse and motivate students to strive for success while maintaining a healthy learning environment for all children within the school.
Download the full job description at the bottom of the page.
YOU WILL HAVE:
- QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
- A Good Honours Degree
- 2 years teaching experience.
- A detailed knowledge of the curriculum and its means of delivery
- High standards of communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work as a team
- The ability to work towards deadlines
- The ability to motivate both students and your peers
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Experience innovating to deliver the curriculum.
- A school that is fully dedicated to developing every child to reach their full potential, irrespective of their ability
- Collaborative working within our shared family of schools to support our endeavours to work smarter and achieve an effective balance between home and work
- A dedicated and friendly team of professionals who are keen to develop and learn
- Excellent CPD opportunities to grow and development through mentorship and coaching
- A successful NQT support program
- Onsite parking
- Onsite canteen with locally sourced ingredients
- A cycle scheme and discounted gym membership
- Fantastic facilities to resource your ability to teach your students without limitations
- Exciting, accelerated leadership development and early promotion opportunities for the right candidates.
Find out more on our School Career site
To apply, please follow the link and complete your application form by Monday 31st May. You are warmly invited to visit the school or to contact the headteacher for an informal conversation.
Please call Joe Bloggs on 0845 226 1906 .
Eteach Group Premium Member School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references.
About the author
After completing a BA in Creative Writing and a Masters in Creative and Critical Writing at the University of Winchester, Tammy worked as a Learning Support Assistant, with a focus on helping students develop their literacy skills. She then taught as an English teacher at an all-boys comprehensive school in Berkshire. Tammy now works for Eteach as Content Marketing Executive, where she can combine her passion for education and writing.