Should you DIY recruit?
Some things in life you can tackle yourself. When the margin for error is narrow, and the end result has a wide quality threshold, then why not? When you reduce your level of expertise, you reduce the quality of your results. A bit of painting at home, give it a try. But your own root canal surgery? Not such a good idea.
What’s the cost of getting recruitment wrong? The margin for error when tackling your own recruitment is high at multiple stages. In the short term, (1) you can recruit the wrong person. It’s estimated that a bad hire costs around one third of the employee’s salary, and as much as £30,000. Not only do you have to go through the process of hiring again, but they can cause (2) reduced quality output in the form of poor teaching and extra pressure on other staff and morale. In the long term, (3) a lack of professional methods and tools can progressively disadvantage your workforce pipeline and leave your talent pool shrinking woefully behind those of competing schools.
How to get it right
Several schools successfully recruit 75% of their vacancies with basic advertising. But what is the cost in real terms when you factor in management time, agency fees, advertising, HR time and supply cover? To recruit the the remaining 25% of hard-to-fill vacancies via an agency or supply teachers could cost you another £30,000-100,000 that year. You also need to factor in the time of a school leader or two for staffing and recruitment, that can be another 20,000 a year.
The alternative: why not outsource your recruitment?
Now, you can have a team of experts managing your recruitment. For £6,000 per year, you can secure the education industry’s most advanced advertising software and a year’s subscription for unlimited online advertising on Eteach (and other broadcast platforms) plus reduced rates on a back-up team of specialist recruiters as the last backstop.
Immediately, it makes your annual spend much more predictable. Then, you see your candidate flow increase because the system’s candidate experience is so much better than your old application method of completing 3-hour typed-in forms. You’ve become easy to apply to so you’re getting more live applicants per advert. Next, you begin to proactively grow a workforce pipeline using the Talent Pooling function so you find that when subsequent vacancies arise, you already have someone on your list waiting for the call, thus reducing your need to use agencies in the first place.
It is this whole-year, proactive and multi-channel approach which is critical to your success, along with giving yourself the technical edge with the right tools.
In short, you can take the bus for months while you teach yourself mechanics, or just pay to get your car back on the road.
Who is this for?
A revolution is occurring in education recruitment and the schools who are getting on board are reaping the rewards.
We meet with hundreds of schools who are simply paying shocking amounts, sometimes £15,000 or £25,000 for a licence to advertise with a national advertiser which comes with no technology advantage and no long-term strategy or expertise, leaving that school still needing a heavy dependence on agencies on top of the already eye-watering cost.
If you are tying up all your capital with an expensive advertising provider, you’re getting a poor return on investment and we have an ideal solution for you.
Trial the revolutionary school recruitment method that routinely halves the annual recruitment spend for schools.