by 2020 Bridgwater College Academy will be recognised as a first choice school because…
1) It is a ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’ school according to Ofsted validating the high academic standards, exceptional progress from starting points, high quality provision for student welfare and breadth of educational opportunities and has been for several years.
2) It is a centre of excellence for the quality of teaching and learning it provides. Only the recruitment, continued professional development and retention of inspirational teachers, in all phases of the academy, will secure the highest level of achievement for all students.
3) Students that leave our Academy at 16 are highly sought after by Bridgwater College and local employers as a result of their complete development. Students achieve well academically in addition to developing a strong sense of character, excellent employability skills and they are well prepared for working life.
4) The Academy is making a significant contribution to the community of Sydenham. This includes enhanced access to facilities, advice, guidance and support as well as extended services beyond education. The academy works well with other community stakeholders, including housing, Sedgemoor District Council, SASP, Avon and Somerset police and the NHS to provide enriched opportunities to support our community. This will support students and their families in gaining the maximum benefit from their relationship with the Academy, their experience of learning and their sense of pride in the school.
5) Opportunities beyond the formal curriculum will continue to expand until they are exceptional. They openminds, develop tolerance, understanding and confidence. The Academy is highly regarded locally and nationally for sport and sport development as well as the Arts. All of our students have had a meaningful experience of the world of work as well as a developing sense of life as an undergraduate.
6) It builds on existing good relationships with parents to improve further the channels of communication and their contribution to school life. The Academy ensures that all stakeholders understand the effectiveness of the school and are able to challenge and support the Governing Body and Senior Leadership to bring about further school improvement.
7) The coherence, identity and ethos of the school are not being determined by its size but by its values. The culture of the school is welcoming, familiar and based on an unconditional positive regard for the individual.