Abbey Mead Primary Academy, part of The Mead Educational Trust, is a dynamic, vibrant and outstanding school. We are a diverse learning community that provides the best possible support in enabling pupils to achieve their best. Abbey Mead Primary Academy caters for children aged 3-ll years of age. At present, there are approximately 724 children on roll. We have 22 classrooms, a music room, two ICT suites and a community cyber café, two halls and a wildlife area. Abbey Primary is set in pleasant grounds with a large field and an adventure play area. We are located in the heart of Leicester on the Belgrave Road. Belgrave is well known throughout the country as a multi cultural area. Belgrave Road is renowned for its authentic Indian restaurants, Indian sweet shops, sari shops, and jewelers. This area of the city is also famous for its seasonal lights which combine to celebrate winter festivals including the Hindu celebration Diwali (Festival of Light) and Christmas. The Diwali celebrations in Leicester are focused on this area and are purported to be the largest outside of India. Its not all shops, there are recreation areas for the children, a leisure centre with its own swimming pool and parks. At Abbey Primary Community School we reach out to the whole community and share our experiences whenever possible.
We provide an outstanding (Ofsted 2011) quality of education for all the children at Abbey. Our focus is on achieving excellence through providing exciting, relevant learning experiences in the classroom and a full programme of family learning activities. We create opportunities for success and celebrate each of them. One of our key sayings is ‘Take each and every one of the pupils as if they were your own child. That raises the stakes! If it was my child, how much would I be prepared to give?’ We are proud of the school's academic performance. Abbey gets extremely high results The pupils and staff make Abbey a special place.
Sorry, we are currently not recruiting for any vacancies
We would love you to join our Talent Pool so we can contact you when the right vacancy arises.
If you're searching for your next teaching post, why not contact us now? You'll be working at a great school in a great trust and be part of a friendly, helpful team. We're always interested to hear from enthusiastic, committed teachers - send us your CV now via our School Talent Pool and say what sort of role you're looking for. By joining our School Talent Pool we'll know you're interested in working here when a future vacancy occurs. Join our School Talent Pool now! For more information about School Talent Pools visit www.eteach.com
At Abbey we aim to provide a stimulating and challenging learning environment where all pupils can attain their full potential
This will be accomplished in the following ways:
• Children will receive the highest quality of learning and teaching.
• Children will be provided with a learning atmosphere in which they can fully develop their academic and social skills.
• Children will attain very high standards of behaviour.
• All children will have access to a carefully planned, exciting, relevant and connected curriculum, which promotes a positive attitude to learning.
• All staff set very high expectations for all children in order to raise levels of achievement of individuals and across the school.
• The needs of all children, including those who are gifted and talented or those with special educational needs are met within the school curriculum.
• All children are encouraged to develop as individual thinkers and learners, taking responsibility for their own lives.
• The school will provide for the physical, social and moral development of every child.
• Children will be encouraged to show the good values of courtesy, sensitivity and tolerance as appropriate in a multi-racial community. The school will not tolerate any discrimination or inequality of opportunity.
• We employ our resources, both human and material as effectively as possible.
• We are at the ‘cutting edge’ of innovation.
• We develop effective partnerships with parents and use the school as a community resource.
We expect that this will enable the children of Abbey to become:
• Literate and numerate, achieving their maximum potential and giving them a range of life choices.
• Alert, motivated and able to set and monitor progress towards their own targets.
• Happy, contented and at ease with themselves and others.
• Confident, independent and inspired to learn.
• Responsible for and engaged in their own learning.
• Valued and valuable members of the community.
• Respectful of themselves, others and the environment
• Able to confidently articulate their thoughts, learning and opinions.
• Able to communicate their needs, wants and choices.
Abbey Mead Primary Academy is a National Teaching School and the lead school for a new and exciting model of initial teacher training that provides trainees with invaluable classroom experiences to equip them with the skills and knowledge to become effective and confident primary school teachers.
Abbey Mead Primary Academy, as the lead primary school for the Leicester Teaching School Alliance (LeTS), works within an alliance of over twenty schools from Leicester City and the local region. This Alliance of schools is committed to providing outstanding quality teacher training so the young people in our schools achieve the best possible outcomes. The Alliance hopes to use the School Direct route to grow outstanding teachers and leaders to employ in its alliance schools.
Abbey Mead and the LeTS alliance have worked in very close partnership with the Leicester and Leicestershire SCITT, an outstanding primary ITT provider, in the design of this School Direct programme. All School Direct trainees on this route will benefit from following the full training programme of the L&L SCITT.
School Direct is a route to train teachers that follows the SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training) philosophy of putting schools at the heart of the ITT process. All trainees on School Direct programmes accredited by the L&L SCITT will specialise within training to teach either FS & KS1 (3-7yrs) pupils or KS1 & KS2 (5-11yrs) pupils.
Over the last ten years the Leicester & Leicestershire SCITT has continuously refined and developed its training programme to achieve its current outstanding local and national reputation for providing primary teacher training of the highest quality. All trainees on all School Direct programmes accredited by the L&L SCITT will benefit from following the full SCITT training programme, whilst also being allied to some exceptional schools within the partnership. All trainees will be enrolled on a full PGCE programme, with 60 Masters credits, as an integral part of the course.
Indicators of the L&L SCITT’s exceptional programme include:
• Rated as one of the two TOP primary ITT providers nationally for the quality of training in The Good Teacher Training Guide for each of the last two years.
• In the Top 3 ITT providers nationally for the overall quality of training in the 2013 and 2014 Newly Qualified Teacher surveys ( Six months after completing ITT training all NQTs are asked to complete a government survey regarding how well their ITT training provider prepared them for the challenges of their first year as a teacher)
• Outstanding in its most recent OFSTED inspection
• Exceptionally good employment prospects for trainees (61 out of the 62 trainees gaining QTS in the last two years were employed as teachers immediately after completing training )
• Extremely high retention of trainees on the course (over 96% over the past 3 years)
• Excellent outcomes for trainees against the Teachers’ Standards at the end of training in both 2013 and 2014
• 100% of headteachers employing the SCITT trainees rated the quality of training their NQTS had received as `good’ or better ( 58% `very good’) in the most recent 2013 survey
Formed in 2014, The Mead Educational Trust (TMET) is a well-established, respected multi academy trust in Leicestershire with a growing partnership of primary and secondary schools.
The Mead Educational Trust exists to improve the life chances of children and young people. At the heart of all we do is a commitment to provide our academies access to a world-class education, excellent school-to-school support and to provide our staff with an employer keen to provide high quality professional development.
Our passionate and dedicated approach to education provides pupils with an exciting, engaging and high quality learning environment, developing our pupils into aspirational, capable and confident young adults and members of the community. We are committed to helping each of our academies to ensure that helps every pupil reach their fullest potential.
At the heart of our Trust is a group of carefully chosen trustees, leaders of education and key leaders within both the wider and business community. The carefully selected guardians of our Trust teamed with the effective business management systems that we operate enables us to keep exceptional education provision at our core.
Our Trustees, Staff and Pupils all work together to make a positive difference.
To find out more about TMET, please click here